Life Aboard the USS Coral Sea, CV-43: Memories from 1978 to 1981 by James K. Lewis
Historical Context
The USS Coral Sea (CV-43) is a Midway-class aircraft carrier commissioned in 1947 and actively serving the United States Navy during the late 20th century. By the time I reported aboard in February 1978, the Coral Sea had participated in numerous Cold War operations and exercises, projecting U.S. naval power globally. This period encompassed significant geopolitical events, including heightened tensions in the Middle East, ongoing Cold War dynamics in East Asia, and critical U.S. naval readiness in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. The Coral Sea’s presence served as both deterrent and rapid-response platform for the U.S., highlighting the strategic importance of aircraft carriers in modern naval warfare.
Pre-Assignment and Training
After graduating from high school from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, I had a little bit of time to see the movie Star Wars for the first time before heading off to boot camp. My naval journey began on June 23, 1977, after attending a Milwaukee Brewers baseball game (since they sponsored my boot camp company). I reported to Great Lakes Naval Training Center. This is where I began my initial military indoctrination, learning basic seamanship, physical fitness, naval traditions, and the discipline required to serve in the Navy.
Following boot camp, I was ordered to Basic Electricity and Electronics School (BE&E) at Great Lakes, as my assigned rating was Electrician’s Mate. This intensive program provided foundational knowledge of shipboard electrical systems, circuitry, and troubleshooting. After BE&E School, I advanced to Electrician’s Mate A-School to refine technical skills, working on more complex systems and simulations. Upon completion, I spent two weeks of leave at home in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, before flying to Seattle to join the USS Coral Sea.
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington
In February of 1978, the Coral Sea was undergoing an extensive upgrading at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. During this period, the ship’s electrical systems, flight deck, and onboard facilities were modernized to improve operational efficiency. Following the work, we conducted short tool-around operations in Puget Sound to test shipboard systems. During these test runs, I experienced mild seasickness, but with motion sickness pills from medical, I was able to manage and never became too ill.
While in Puget Sound and Seattle, I enjoyed exploring the surrounding areas during liberty. I frequently rode the ferry between Bremerton and Seattle, discovering local shops, restaurants, and cultural sites. One notable visit was to the Space Needle, where I experienced the revolving restaurant and the breathtaking panoramic views of Seattle Bay. These excursions offered a refreshing balance to life aboard the carrier and allowed for personal exploration.
Alameda, California
After the ship’s upgrades, Coral Sea transitioned to her homeported status to Alameda, California. During this period, we facilitated the offloading of personal vehicles, household items, and gear for crew members, essentially functioning as a large transport platform. Sailors displayed creativity during down time. I remember one sailor who kept his pet ferret in his locker and calmed him down by occasionally breathing marijuana smoke in the animal's face. Life in Alameda was also stimulating due to its proximity to larger metropolitan areas, offering opportunities to explore the city and its cultural offerings.
During off-duty hours, I often rode buses to nearby Oakland to explore bookstores, restaurants, and movie theaters. One favorite destination was DeLauer’s Super News Stand on Broadway, which also operated as a bookstore. It remains a landmark in Oakland and is still operating; I would love to visit again if I ever return to the San Francisco Bay area. Another leisure activity involved taking the BART subway into San Francisco. I enjoyed the cable cars, visited Fisherman’s Wharf, Pier 39, the Ripley’s Believe It Not Museum, and the Musée Mécanique. Small treats, like sourdough hoagie rolls and chocolate chess sets, added to the experience.
E-Division Responsibilities
Following my time in the movie booth, where I checked out and ran 16 mm films for the crew, I transitioned to assignments across various E-Division stations. Life below decks was challenging and grueling, often requiring crawling into tight, uncomfortable spaces. I remember one time a vital valve component fell into the bilges in the engine room. As the junior member, I performed "bilge diving" to retrieve it, removing my uniform to prevent damage and taking a long, hot shower afterward.
As the movie booth operator, I sometimes conducted impromptu preventive maintenance (PMS) training sessions for selected crew members. These sessions were actually a cover for showing movies to friends. Occasionally, officers would enter and become upset at what appeared to be a goofing-off session. I had these sessions well-prepared with training materials laid out and explained that we were conducting PMS training, which effectively prevented any repercussions, even though we both knew it was a bit of a ruse.
Memorable Port Visits
Most at-sea operations during this period involved cruising up and down the California coast, with port visits mainly to San Diego. During these visits, I had opportunities to attend a 2-week training school in San Diego to learn maintenance for the 16 mm movie projectors. I also explored the San Diego Zoo, taking a couple of days to fully enjoy it. On other trips, I visited Disneyland in Los Angeles, reliving my parents’ early experiences there and enjoying classic rides, including the Matterhorn, the monorail, the so-called trip to Mars ride, and the Haunted Mansion. These excursions offered both relaxation and cultural enrichment.
Daily Life, Flight Operations, and Emergency Preparedness
Life aboard Coral Sea revolved around a structured schedule of flight operations, maintenance, and drills. Flight deck operations were fast-paced and demanding, requiring vigilance, precision, and seamless teamwork. The crew routinely participated in general quarters and damage control exercises, ensuring readiness for emergencies. These drills reinforced the importance of safety, situational awareness, and personal responsibility.
While assigned to electrical switchboard number 2, one of my additional duties was running the emergency generator and Engine Room Number Two in case of power failure. I had trained for this assignment and, when the situation arose, performed my duties competently, earning an attaboy from my leading petty officer.
Western Pacific Deployment: Operation Eagle Claw
During the Western Pacific deployment, the Coral Sea participated in critical contingency operations during the Iran Hostage Crisis. On April 24, 1980, following a failed helicopter rescue attempt in Tehran, the ship went to Red Alert. When I realized it was not a drill, I went into warp speed, quickly ran up and down ladders acting as stairs, donned my emergency equipment including an oxygen breathing apparatus, and reached my battle station. As a damage control investigator, I was responsible for checking my assigned area for damage in case of enemy action. The realization that I could be among the first casualties was sobering and frightening, but I carried out my duties with focus and determination.
Conclusion
Serving aboard the USS Coral Sea from 1978 to 1981 was an unforgettable chapter in my life. Every day brought new challenges, whether mastering shipboard systems, or maintaining morale through creative efforts. Life below decks demanded endurance, patience, and adaptability, often requiring work in tight, uncomfortable spaces and performing tasks that tested skill and resolve.
Camaraderie among the crew was a defining feature of life aboard. Sailors relied on each other for support, encouragement, and a sense of family amid the rigors of long deployments. Whether collaborating on maintenance, sharing downtime activities, or simply offering a friendly conversation, these connections created a strong bond that carried us through demanding days at sea.
Port visits and shore leave offered opportunities to experience civilian life, explore new cities, and enjoy moments of leisure that balanced the intensity of carrier life. The sights, sounds, and energy of port cities provided both respite and perspective, allowing sailors to reconnect with the world beyond the ship while representing the Navy with pride and professionalism.
Overall, my time aboard the Coral Sea was a mix of intense work, personal growth, and unforgettable experiences. It taught the value of teamwork, resilience, and adaptability, while also offering moments of joy, discovery, and reflection. The legacy of the Coral Sea endures in the memories of those who served aboard her, reminding us of the dedication, skill, and spirit required to live and work on one of the Navy’s great carriers during a pivotal era.
Source Bibliography
USS Coral Sea Association. Official Website.
Naval Aviation News, “USS Coral Sea: Service Record 1978-1981.” U.S. Navy Publication Archive.
“DeLauer’s Super News Stand History.” Oakland Public Archives.
Comments
Post a Comment