Patriotism Without Idolatry
America Doesn't Need to Be Called a Christian Nation
I've been thinking a lot about people who say America is a Christian nation or that it should become one. As a Christian, this matters deeply to me because I love both my country and my Savior. But I think we've confused two very different ideas.
I would love for every American to come to know Jesus Christ. That's my prayer. But faith can't be forced. The government can't make people Christians, and it shouldn't try. Jesus never told His followers to build His kingdom through political power. He told us to preach the gospel, make disciples, and love our neighbors.
History should make us careful before we start calling America a Christian nation.
Our country has done some terrible things. Native Americans were forced from their land. Some people used the Bible to defend slavery and Jim Crow. Churches have been rocked by sexual abuse scandals. A few extremists even committed violence against abortion clinics while claiming to act for God. None of those things reflect the heart of Jesus Christ, even if people tried to use Christianity to justify them.
That's why I believe we need to be very careful about mixing Christianity with national identity.
Don't misunderstand me. I believe America has been greatly influenced by Christian principles, and I'm thankful for that. I also believe our rights ultimately come from God. But there's a difference between Christian patriotism and Christian nationalism.
I'm a Christian who loves his country. I thank God for America, and I want what's best for her. But my loyalty belongs to Jesus Christ first. If my country ever asks me to choose between America and Christ, Christ wins every time.
That's also why I don't believe Christians should tie themselves to one political party. Our job isn't to defend Republicans or Democrats. Our job is to stand for biblical truth, no matter who is in power. When either party does what's right, we should support it. When either party does what's wrong, we should say so.
The answer to America's problems isn't declaring ourselves a Christian nation. The answer is Christians actually living like Christians. We don't need more people wrapping themselves in the flag while ignoring the teachings of Jesus. We need more people humbly following Christ every day.
That's what will change hearts. That's what will strengthen families. That's what will make our communities better.
America doesn't need a government that claims to be Christian nearly as much as it needs Christians who truly live like Christ. I believe that's the better path, and I believe it's the biblical one.
Comments
Post a Comment