Why I Don't Support Donald Trump

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, reading, fact-checking, and looking at Donald Trump's own words and actions. This isn't about hating him, and it's not because someone told me what to think. It's because I looked at the evidence for myself.

For me, character matters. The President of the United States should be honest, trustworthy, humble, and respect the Constitution. I don't believe Donald Trump has consistently shown those qualities.

One reason is his legal record. Trump was convicted on 34 felony counts for falsifying business records related to hush-money payments.¹ He was also found liable in a civil court for sexually abusing and defaming E. Jean Carroll.² While that was a civil case rather than a criminal conviction, a jury still found him liable.

I also don't like the way he has treated women. The Access Hollywood recording, along with many of his public comments over the years, simply doesn't reflect the character I want in a president.³

I don't like that he spent years promoting the false claim that Barack Obama wasn't born in the United States.⁴ I also don't like that he continued criticizing the Central Park Five even after DNA evidence proved they were innocent.⁵

Another major concern for me is the 2020 election. Trump repeatedly claimed the election was stolen, even after dozens of court cases failed to overturn the results.⁶ I believe those claims hurt Americans' confidence in our election system and divided the country even further.

I also have concerns about how he has talked about the Constitution. He publicly suggested that parts of the Constitution could be suspended because of the 2020 election.⁷ He has also repeatedly talked about serving a third presidential term, even though the Constitution limits presidents to two elected terms.⁸

The January 6 pardons also concern me. Trump granted clemency to many January 6 defendants, including individuals convicted of assaulting police officers.⁹ I don't believe that sends the right message about respecting law enforcement or being held accountable for your actions.

On economic policy, I believe some of Trump's tax policies benefited wealthier Americans more than working families.¹⁰ I also have concerns about some of his proposals involving tariffs, immigration, and government spending because economists continue to debate their long-term effects on American workers and the economy.¹¹

When it comes to foreign policy, I also have concerns about some of his decisions and how they affected America's relationships with our allies. Reasonable people can disagree on those issues, but they're still part of why I can't support him.

At the end of the day, this isn't about party politics or personal hatred. It's about the kind of leader I believe America deserves. I want a president who tells the truth, respects the Constitution, accepts responsibility for his actions, and works to unite Americans instead of dividing them.

I understand not everyone will agree with me, and that's okay. Healthy disagreement is part of living in a free country. But after looking at the facts for myself, these are the reasons I can't support Donald Trump.


Sources

¹ Queen, Jack, Luc Cohen, and Andy Sullivan. "Guilty on All Counts, Donald Trump Becomes First U.S. President Convicted of a Crime." Reuters, 30 May 2024.

² Carroll v. Trump, No. 22-cv-10016. United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.

³ NBC News. "Trump Caught on Hot Mic in 2005 Making Lewd Comments About Women."

PolitiFact. Holan, Angie Drobnic. "Donald Trump's False Birther Claims."

Associated Press. "Coverage of Trump's Comments Regarding the Central Park Five."

Congressional Research Service. The Electoral Count Reform Act of 2022.

Reuters. "Trump Faces Criticism After Calling for the Termination of Parts of the Constitution."

 Reuters. "Trump Says There Are 'Methods' for a Third Presidential Term."

United States Department of Justice. January 6 Capitol Breach Cases.

¹⁰ Congressional Budget Office. The Budget and Economic Outlook: 2025 to 2035.

¹¹ Congressional Research Service. Section 301 Tariffs: Economic and Trade Effects.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Duty Collided with Conscience

Trump’s Iran Strikes: Unconstitutional, Dangerous, and a Christian Call for Accountability

DHS’s Subpoena Campaign Threatens First Amendment Freedoms